Travel songs about America
Playlists and songs about California, USA
Playlists and songs about New York, USA
Birthplace to Rock and Rock and a multitude of music legends, America has always been an inspiration to musicians and songwriters. It's not all soppy and patriotic music, with many songs capturing an under-current of discontent and social issues. Other travel songs just make you want to jump in an old beat up car and drive from coast to coast - and back again. We've also included a few tracks that feature the area south of the border.
Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen's iconic song captures the delimna of feeling let down by the country he loves.
American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
More about leaving than travelling, this song captures the spirit of why some people find themselves on the road.
Back in the USA - Chuck Berry
The classic from Berry talks about what he misses when away from the USA 'Did I miss the skyscrapers, did I miss the long freeway?'
Kids In America - Kim Wilde (and others)
We're not sure sure what they had against the west coast with the line 'New York to East California', but it doesn't matter. There are also a few cover versions around.
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Music from the southern USA and a great song for any road trip.
Me and You and a Dog Named Boo - Lobo
A classic song from the early 70s about giving up your life and 'travelling and living off the land'.
Route 66 - Rolling Stones
Alas, the old Route 66 from Chicago to LA is slowly fading piece by piece, but for anyone on a road trip in the US, this is the song to take.
Callin' you (theme from Bagdad Cafe) - Barbra Streisand
'A desert road from Vegas to nowhere: some place better than where you've been'
The big playlist about America
- America - Simon & Garfunkel
- American pie - Don Mclean
- Amerika - Rammstein
- Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen
- Baltimore - Randy Newman
- Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
- Boston Tea Party - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
- Breakfast in America - Supertramp
- Buffalo Gals - Malcolm McLaren
- By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
- Chicago - Kate Voegele
- Chicago - The Devil Wears Prada
- Chicago (We Can Change The World) - Graham Nash
- Chicago Is So Two Years Ago - Fall Out Boy
- City Of Gainesville - Less Than Jake
- City Of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie
- Cleveland Rocks - Ian Hunter
- Detroit rock city - Kiss
- Do You Know the Way to San Josť - Dionne Warwick
- Down From Dover -Dolly Parton
- Elvis In Vegas - Meat Loaf
- Graceland - Paul Simon
- Hawaii - Beach Boys
- Hawaii - The Strokes
- House of the rising sun - The Animals
- Houston -R.E.M.
- I'm afraid of Americans - David Bowie
- I'm in Miami Trick - LMFAO
- Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
- It came to America - Neil Diamond
- Kansas City - Cast of Oklahoma!
- La Grange - ZZ Top
- Leaving Las Vegas - Sheryl Crow
- Living in America - James Brown
- Memphis - Johnny Rivers
- Memphis - PJ Harvey
- Memphis Blues - W.C. Handy
- Memphis Skyline - Rufus Wainwright
- Messed Up In Memphis - Darryl Worley
- Mexican moon - Concrete Blonde
- Mexican radio - Wall of Voodoo
- Miami - Taking Back Sunday
- Miami - Will Smith
- Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway) - Billy Joel
- New Orleans - Rancid
- Nutbush City Limits - Ike and Tina Turner
- Philadelphia - Neil Young
- Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John
- Put your hands up for Detroit - Freddy La Grande
- Roadhouse blues - The Doors
- San Franciscan Nights - The Animals
- Santa Monica - Everclear
- Santa Monica - Theory Of A Deadman
- Sante Fe - Beirut
- Scarborough Fair / Canticle - Simon & Garfunkel
- Shuttin' Detroit Down - John Rich
- Song of Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley
- Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
- Summertime USA - The Pixies Three
- Surfin USA - Beach Boys
- Sweet home Chicago - The Blues Brothers Soundtrack
- Theme from Miami Vice - Jan Hammer
- US forces - Midnight Oil
- Vegas - Sara Bareilles
- Ventura Highway - America
- Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley
- Waking Up In Vegas - Katy Perry
- Walking In Memphis - Marc Cohn
- What Made Milwaukee Famous - Rod Stewart
- Woodstock - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- Don't forget to see specific destinations of New York and California.